Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Wednesday, September 28

V. The Celebration!

  The son, just as he planned, began
   to say, Father, I have sinned against
  The heavens, and in your sight I am
   no longer worthy to be your son,
  But before he reached the begging part
   to work as a servant in the fields
  The father wiped his words away
   and turned toward the servants he
       had hired.
 
  Bring out my finest robe, he said,
   and give it to my son to wear,
  Let him have rings for his fingers
   and put new shoes upon his feet,
  And then bring out the fatted calf,
   have it quartered, chopped and cut
  Into the finest veal for our table
   that we may eat and celebrate
       the day,
 
  And then as they prepared the feast
   and as the plates of veal were passed
  The father rose and raised his glass
   and gave a toast to all the house:
  My son was dead, he said, but now
   he is alive!  My son was lost
  But here again, you see, my son
   is found!  My little one is home
      at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment