Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Saturday, September 24

I. The Shepherd

  “What one of you who murmur,
     disapproving of the company I keep,
  Who grumble at these sinners
     drawing near that they may hear,
  Who complain about the publicans
     so hungry for my words and
  Would not have me receive them
     at my table —which of you,
 
  If you were a hired shepherd, and
     you lost one of your hundred sheep,
  Would not leave the ninety nine
     in the ambles of your wilderness
  To go after the one who strayed
     into the mountains?  Wouldn’t you
  Be relieved to find your little one,
     to lift him up, to carry him on
        your shoulders?

  And who among you, coming home
     with news to share with everyone,
  Would hesitate to call your friends
     and neighbors round to celebrate
  The simple fact that you had found
     that little one that you had sought
  And could restore him to the good
     folds of your pasture?  Tell me,
        would you not?”

No comments:

Post a Comment