Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Thursday, July 7

Moleskin 3.9: Other Stories

There is more to being alive than any one chapter can speak of, and reducing life to lines on pages only makes me consider the stories upon stories I am leaving out. Maybe these are lesser tales, justifiably diminished, easily set aside. I could, for example, talk about my baseball card collection, inspired by cousin Jim and subsidized by pop bottle returns; or my extracurricular reading, against parental reservations, of Peter Benchley’s Jaws; or the cultural awareness stirred daily from living in a Jewish neighborhood; and just as quickly I would have to remember how the cards were set aside by a succession of other collections; how I got more from reading Twain in school that year; and how that old neighborhood is now predominantly Hindu and Muslim. Still, these are things to talk about, part of my history, moments in my life, substance to my soul. Every episode adds to how I am alive today. And I could go on and on...

No comments:

Post a Comment