Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Sunday, October 2

VII. The Younger Brother

  Look, the brother said, how many
   years have I been at your side,
  Serving you, following your rules
   and never breaking your commands,
  And have you ever given me
   as much as a suckling goat to share
  With friends, a single night that my friends
   and I might have a party of
             our own?
 
  Yet here, no sooner had your boy
   returned from his great carnival
  Of whores, his share of your estate
   devoured, for this son of yours
  You’ve gone and killed the fatted calf!
   And he despised his brother and
  Continued with his murmuring,
   but the loving father to his son
             replied,

  My son, you are forever with me,
   and everything I have is yours,
  But it was right that we should have
   this feast and celebration, for
  You see, this is your younger brother:
   he was dead, but turn around
  And look, he is alive again! Your
   brother was lost, and now he has
             been found!”

No comments:

Post a Comment