Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Thursday, May 5

Moleskin 2.10: The Move

Chapters, a whole book, could be devoted to why we moved that year, but for now let me tell it as I saw it, having just turned ten. The move was fairly sudden, not quite three months into the school year, and there were no long goodbyes to my father’s congregation. We took two vehicles: our station wagon, carrying Mom and Gordon Hammedahl and my two brothers, and a U-Haul truck with my dad and Susan Hammedahl and myself. The Hammedahls were helpful neighbors, and they were always close friends to us, but then I remember Dad stopping along the way to buy Susan a rose. There were very few words said about that flower, and it would take years for me to see beyond its single thorny stem, or to notice the budding romance in the car ahead of us, but when we got to Chicago, suddenly Dad was living in a different place. He found a factory job and, for several years, he was no longer a preacher. And now it was an urban, backwards flowing river we were perched upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment