Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Saturday, August 13

The End Of Reason

  from Walled Gardens

  How can one describe God?
  What wins the argument?
   
  I tried reasoning my way to God: it did not work;
  How can one know a way that cannot be known?
  Reason took me no further than the door,
  But in the end God’s presence let me in.
   
  I tried willing the door to open: it would not move.
  How can one see a face before it’s shown?
  My willfulness had gotten me this far,
  But in the end God’s presence let me in.
   
  If reason is incompetent to know its own nature
  And will is incapable of knowing itself,
  If I don’t seem to know the first thing about knowledge,
  Why would I think I could ever know God?
   
  I tried willing myself to God, but I lost my will;
  I tried reasoning my way to God, but in the end
  it was God’s love and kindness that opened the door;
  it was God’s grace and presence that let me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment