Subtitle

A CONFLUENCE OF DAYS, WEEKS AND YEARS

by Jonathan Vold

Thursday, March 17

Moleskin 2.3: Placement

There are different prototypical personalities a child can take on, depending on his or her placement in the household, and my brothers and later my sister would demonstrate this to me, as I would to them. They can tell their own tales of being middle children and babies of the family, and they each, in turn, were the baby, getting primary attentions and given increments of freedom. But I was the oldest, and for four years the only, which means my own attentions and freedoms were, at first, exclusive. I do not remember the transition; or maybe I willfully denied it and, surely, continue to do so. I did not, and do not deny, my siblings’ rightful attentions and defining freedoms, but a part of me believes, perhaps irrationally, selfishly, but, yes, willfully, that my placement has never diminished.

No comments:

Post a Comment